Thursday, September 15, 2011

Developing a post-christian orthodoxy

I'm post-christian.

There, I said it. I even put it in writing.

I have to admit it is actually a relief. I have spent such a long time looking for something "right" - something truly authentic - that I feel I have wasted many years. I have spent countless hours with close friends and labored over texts trying to reconcile our modern realities with the truth we see reflected in scripture.

What I have decided, is that it does not exist. I have realized that the undercurrent of uneasiness I have felt for so long is not coming from a discomfort with my ability to conform to systems and structures but from the inherent brokenness of the systems themselves.

Besides it being a broken system, any hope of the system being repaired is dependent on those who benefit from the brokenness just deciding to relinquish their power and gain from the system for the benefit of everyone else - beyond unlikely.

So, I share this not from a position of arrogance as one who has "gotten it." I say it with a sense of peace and hope of someone who realizes that their is no hope and that the hole in life raft cannot and will not be repaired so it's time to swim. But, I also say it with a sober awareness that swimming is a much less desirable option than floating in the raft.

Now, I am faced with a reality of creating a new kind of orthodoxy. What will I carry from my own experience into this new post-christian reality?

Here are some of the things I intend to carry forward:
Jesus - his teachings, his philosophy, his humility, his forgiveness, his love
Forgiveness - an uncommon, radical, senseless hand of acceptance extended out to those who are in pain and  brokenness
Justice - for all of the disenfranchised, for the marginalized, for the poor, the enslaved
Prayer, worship, and study - but I need to rethink these things in a whole new way

There will be more that I carry forward but not much more.

I want a clean slate as I move forward into a new awareness of my experience with God and his creation. I know this is not going to be easy but I am committed to going forward in a new and fresh way.

This post is really more for me as a point of reference to go back to but I wanted to share for so many of you that I know are on a similar journey.

If you are interested, I would be happy to walk with you into a post-christian reality.

3 comments:

  1. Everyone has to decide for themselves when it's time to swim, but I can tell you that the water's just fine. :)

    Tracking with you, Vince.
    Peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Define post-Christian for me. Not sure I understand what exactly your definition is. Interested in it, however.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me - post-Christian would be more post WESTERN Christianity and the institutional church. Which includes a willingness to reconsider all

    ReplyDelete